Feeling that primal urge? I have a special place in my heart for Drum Circles. It's not just the sensual, tribal rhythms that calm your soul. It's the whole spirit of good hearts surrounding the event. When my daughter was 15, some sweet soul at the local drum circle in Pritchard Park in Asheville, NC, gave her his beautiful drum. First he let her play it and when she was through, guru drummer dude bends over with his hands cupped prayer-like and said to her, "My child, you can have it. (a $200 drum) It's yours." Pritchard Park drumming is a little tourist-y, but what the hell? It radiates such a positive vibe so I can't complain one bit.
I've listed some area Asheville drumming events here for you.
* Tribal Beats - Drum Dance Gatherers - Asheville, FRIDAYS from 8-11pm at Pritchard Park, weather permitting. Free and open to all. Come play with us! Info: Larry at 828-670-7287 or Rita at 828-259-9121 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* WildBodema - Women's drumming troupe in Asheville NC called Wild Bodema. We are a beginners semi-professional women's drumming troupe. We meet Thursdays in East Asheville. email Drumming at WildBodema.com for further info. A Troupe is different from a circle in that we learn specific rhythms and all play together (with some different parts). All drums and playing levels welcome including Djun-djun, etc. You can see them in action HERE.
* Drumming, Dancing & Toning Gathering - Asheville African Drumming Lessons:, and drum circle Mondays, 7:15-8pm – Movement and Learning Center upstairs at the French Broad Food Co-Op. Free with any co-op receipt, otherwise $2 per class. Afterwards, stay and join the drum circle from 8-10:30pm. Info: Larry, 828-670-7287, or info: fbfc.com/
* Folk School Drum Circle I get conflicting dates on this event so I'll list both of them:
-- is now held on the last Thursday of the month at 7p. It only runs from the last Thursday in April with the last circle for the year held on Halloween night. Info 828-835-4704 or email at email@example.com. John C. Campbell Folk School's Open House. Starts at 7PM, goes till... Open to all. Usually extra drums and other noise makers are available, 1 Folk School Road, Brasstown, NC 28902. We will now be gathering year round. Check for locations and times.
--Folk School Drum Circle meets the last Tuesday every month at the John C. Campbell Folk School Open House. Starts at 7p, goes till... and is open to all. Usually extra drums and other noise makers are available, sometimes drums for sale. Just ask. 1 Folk School Road, Brasstown, NC 28902. Call Kim at 828-835-3506 email: firstname.lastname@example.org for info and directions.
* Skinny Beats Drum Shop - located at 4 Eagle St, Downtown Asheville, The number is 828-768-2826, website is skinnybeatsdrums.com. Beginner hand drum classes twice a week and have drum circles periodically.
Drum Circle List - Find more events near you.
EAT OF THE WEEK: Congratulations! It’s a Bagel! - I like Bagels. This week, my Eat of the Week is… a bagel. Yep. Just a regular ol’ bagel with cream cheese, that I ordered and ate at PennyCup Coffee Co. ...
14 hours ago